Search Results

You are looking at 1 - 10 of 49 items for :

  • "allotments" x
  • Refine by Access: All content x
  • Refine by Content Type: All x
Clear All Modify Search
Restricted access

Changing Patterns of Allotment Gardening in the Czech Republic and Slovakia

Attila Tóth, Barbora Duží, Jan Vávra, Ján Supuka, Mária Bihuňová, Denisa Halajová, Stanislav Martinát, and Eva Nováková

Historically, one of the most important and widespread forms of urban gardening is allotment gardening. This form of urban gardening has had a long tradition in all Central and Eastern European countries and is the main object of research presented

Restricted access

Contested Greenspace Solidarities?

Asymmetric Valuation Compromises and Civic-Material Tensions in Copenhagen Allotment Gardens

Nicola C. Thomas and Anders Blok

Allotment gardens play an important role within 20th-century Danish culture and politics in ways that mirror but also give distinctive shape to developments found elsewhere. As plots of public land historically allocated to lower income groups for

Restricted access

Vegetables and Social Relations in Norway and the Netherlands

A Comparative Analysis of Urban Allotment Gardeners

Esther J. Veen and Sebastian Eiter

Allotment gardens can be found in many cities in the industrialized West. Allotments are associated with several benefits, one of which is improved diets; gardens are thought to provide gardeners with fresh fruits and vegetables, increasing their

Restricted access

The Incredible Edible Movement

People Power, Adaptation, and Challenges in Rennes (France) and Montreal (Canada)

Giulia Giacchè and Lya Porto

, toolkits, news, and advice, and provide a space for people to ask questions and share knowledge. The Transposition of IE in Rennes (France) Several different forms of UA (home gardens, allotment gardens, family gardens, community gardens, Incredible Edible

Free access


Civil Society and Urban Agriculture in Europe

Mary P. Corcoran and Joëlle Salomon Cavin

within urban policy systems. The second article focuses on the spatialization of allotment gardening in the contemporary European city. Heidrun Moschitz, Jan Landert, Christian Schader, and Rebekka Frick offer an informative analysis of the urban food

Restricted access

Unsettling the Land

Indigeneity, Ontology, and Hybridity in Settler Colonialism

Paul Berne Burow, Samara Brock, and Michael R. Dove

sedimented into the state, as exemplified by the General Allotment Act of 1887. Wolfe points out that Indigenous peoples are at first violently subjugated—a suppression of Nativeness in all its forms—to the liberal settler state mode of governmentality, which

Restricted access

Garry Rodan, Participation Without Democracy

Containing Conflict in Southeast Asia

Matthew David Ordoñez

state deploys the party-list system, a limited allotment of representative seats in the legislative for supposedly marginalized groups. The system was eventually co-opted by the ruling oligarchy (chapter 6). Similarly, the oligarchy used patronage and

Restricted access

“Urban renewal with dancing and music”?

The renewal machine's struggle to organize hegemony in Turkey

Cansu Civelek

—who had been deedless occupiers but managed to gain deeds thanks to gecekondu amnesties of populist governments. 7 Finally, 50 “deed allotment owners” were legally recognized on the land yet did not have absolute rights to their gecekondu houses. The

Restricted access

From Urban Agriculture to Urban Food

Food System Analysis Based on Interaction Between Research, Policy, and Society

Heidrun Moschitz, Jan Landert, Christian Schader, and Rebekka Frick

System To determine the role of urban agriculture in Basel’s food system, we collected data from written documents and websites of the different urban agriculture projects. Statistical information about the farm businesses and allotment gardens in the

Restricted access

Local perspectives on confronting water scarcity

The Mexican portion of the Colorado River

Alfonso Andrés Cortez-Lara, José Luís Castro-Ruíz, and Vicente Sánchez-Munguía

the northeast corner of Mexicali, Baja California, with 90.7% of the total allotment; and (2) the southern international boundary or Sánchez Mejorada Canal, located in the western limit of San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, receiving the remaining 9.3% of