Search Results

You are looking at 1 - 10 of 74 items for :

  • "facial expression" x
  • All content x
Clear All
Restricted access

Rainer Reisenzein

(about 1% explained variance, leaving 99% to other sources), suggesting that it has very limited practical importance. Besides, in many facial feedback studies, facial expressions were manipulated in a fairly transparent manner (by instructing

Restricted access

Beata Stawarska

This article discusses experimental studies of facial imitation in infants in the light of Sartre's and Merleau-Ponty's phenomenological theories of embodiment. I argue that both Sartre's account of the gaze of the other and Merleau-Ponty's account of the reversibility of the flesh provide a fertile ground for interpreting the data demonstrating that very young infants can imitate facial expressions of adults. Sartre's and Merleau-Ponty's accounts of embodiment offer, in my view, a desirable alternative to the dominant mentalistic interpretation of facial imitation in terms of the theory of mind.

Restricted access

'of all things a face appeared'

Reading Faces in Samuel Beckett's "That Time"

Joshua Powell

In his study of psychology in the 1930s, Samuel Beckett registered a number of ideas regarding the face. He took note of the Gestalt idea that the baby is born with the innate ability to distinguish the figure of a face from a blurry buzzing background. His interest was also piqued by the finding that one's perception of a facial expression might change depending on how much of the face is made visible. These ideas would influence his later work. Focusing on the short play That Time, this article looks at Beckett's dramatic presentation of a face alone in the dark. It compares Beckett's approach to face-reading with the study of the face that developed in twentieth-century experimental psychology. Beckett, I suggest, is working with the idea, common in experimental psychology, that facial expressions can be produced involuntarily and perceived effortlessly. However, he also draws attention to a more effortful mode of producing and perceiving faces. Finally, the article situates Beckett's portrayal of the face in relation to a modern culture that increasingly recognises – and celebrates – the face's unmanageability, but has not stopped attempting to manage the face.

Restricted access

Sermin Ildirar and Louise Ewing

asked their subjects to judge the faces. Despite the fact that the faces were identical, attributions of facial expression and mental state were altered when the faces were juxtaposed with contextual movies of different valences. Hillel Aviezer and

Restricted access

Alan Voodla, Elen Lotman, Martin Kolnes, Richard Naar, and Andero Uusberg

actors gradually displaying the facial expressions of happiness, anger, and disgust recorded under high- and low-contrast lighting. To unobtrusively assess the empathic reactions, we recorded facial electromyography (EMG) from three facial muscles known

Restricted access

Film, Art, and the Third Culture

A Naturalized Aesthetics of Film—Précis

Murray Smith

emotion in film and the other arts as an extended experiment in the third cultural integration of ideas on emotion spanning the arts, the humanities, and the sciences. Here I explore, among other things, the role of facial expression in film in the light

Restricted access

Johannes Riis

reciprocal functions between narrative and performer is inspired by Noël Carroll’s (1993) theory of point-of-view editing. While Carroll views facial expressions as distinctive to certain categories of emotions, I will be drawing on a broader range insights

Restricted access

Putting the Culture into Bioculturalism

A Naturalized Aesthetics and the Challenge of Modernism

Dominic Topp

between reading text and watching images” ( Betz 2009: 50 ), they may distract us from visual details such as facial expressions, including eye behavior, that would otherwise provide useful cues for comprehending characters’ emotions. When it comes to

Restricted access

Stacie Friend

ways very different filmmakers use facial expression to achieve certain effects. Without neglecting the specifics of each case and the different effects on the viewer, the discussion illuminates the ways in which filmmakers tap into common (perhaps

Restricted access

Ivan Mozzhukhin’s Acting Style

Beyond the Kuleshov Effect

Johannes Riis

-of-view editing in accordance with Pudovkin’s descriptions and include film scholars on their research teams, a fourth experiment separated the object and the facial expression by approximately six seconds due to the technical requirements of a brain scanner